Sunday 29 March 2015

Word Work Stations

This year I've decided to completely revamp how I do Word Work in my classroom. Each week, my students complete a spelling contract for homework which involves putting their spelling words into sentences, rainbow words etc in their homework books, so there really isn't any point in repeating this process at school. Therefore, I've decided all my Word Work stations at school should be hands-on. I haven't decided on all my stations yet, but here are a few I've selected:

Whiteboard Words
For spelling words, I give students 8 words based on a spelling pattern or sound such as ‘ou’ words, or ‘tion’ words. Students use two different coloured whiteboard markers and write their words, ensuring that the common spelling pattern is highlighted in a different colour in each word. For example, in the picture above, you can see the ‘th’ is written in purple and all other letters are in orange.

Magic Doodle Board Words

I purchased a whole heap of these magic doodle boards from k-mart 2 years ago and absolutely love them! Students love writing on these, so I thought it would be perfect to incorporate them into my Word Work stations!

Wooden Letter Words
These wooden scrap book letters are great for allowing students to connect uppercase letters with lowercase letters. The individual compartments for each letter makes it easier for students to find the sound they are after quickly.

Kinetic Sand & Lego Imprint Words
Kinetic sand and Lego? Yes please! I absolutely LOVE kinetic sand almost as much as my students do. At this station, students use Lego pieces to create imprints of their words! I have a feeling this station is going to be a favourite!

So these are the stations I've come up with so far, stay tuned for the full addition of Word Work activities coming soon!

What are your most popular word work activities?

Keep Smiling!
Miss A xx

2 comments:

  1. What do you put your kinetic sand in for them to do this station? Love the idea with the legos to make prints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, thanks for stopping by my blog!
    I just use plain plastic trays, they are great because they are deep enough to ensure sand doesn't go everywhere!

    ReplyDelete